Avoiding Toxic Toys

Kids are always putting their toys in their mouth. Is there any way we can prevent their young bodies from absorbing toxins? There is lead in the paint of those brightly colored blocks and lots of chemicals in the walls of that see-through sippy cup. How do you prevent your kid from getting sick from the things they play with, drink from or simply use every day. For instance, did you know that even the clear plastic used as windows on strollers can be toxic to babies – it is because most of these windows are made from toxic PVCS.

So what can we as moms do to protect our baby from harm? First off you should prevent buying toys that have paint that have lead in them. One way to do t hi sis to buy eco-friendly new toys and stay away from those you find in thrift shops. Older toys are likely to contain more toxins. Thrift stores and consignment shops are not required to make sure that any toy is safe. They simply want to upload the junk to you.

Do not buy toys with chipped paint and throw out any toys with chipped paint in your home. The fact that they are chipping means they likely have lead in them. Symptoms of lead poisoning include nausea, vomiting, fatigue, weight loss and inability to gain weight. You should also check your crib or high chair to make sure that your baby is not peeling the paint from the wall and eating the paint chips.

You should also beware of toys that contain a plastic that contains bisphenol A (BPA). This is a chemical compound that is used to make all kinds of different items. Another substance that is dangerous are the phthalates that are found in all kinds of toys.

You should also be careful when you buy toys that say they are flame retardant. These toys are covered with polybrominated diphenylethers (PBDEs). These are toxic to humans.

There are also certain types of paints that can be quite toxic to kids, especially those containing cadmium red. You can find these dyes in everything from play dough to fingerpaints to bubble bath. Be very wary when you buy anything with dye in it. In fact, if there is any type of chemical listed on a toy label just don't buy it. This is especially true if you can't pronounce it!